LED and ECO Related News
LEDCentral.com.au promotes ECO friendly applications and practices that help our environment. The introduction of LED lighting has been a huge leap forward in technology, which not only greatly helps our environment by emitting far less carbon emissions, but also saves you the consumer a lot of money over the life of your lighting needs.
The following LEDCentral.com.au articles on LED lighting and ECO related issues will outline how important it is that we move toward more eco friendly ways of life.
If you would like to comment on any of our articles, or ask for further information, please contact us here
Major Building Code Announcement
BCA Lighting Restrictions
In 2010, the Building Code of Australia (BCA) introduced significant changes to what was allowed in terms of energy consumption from lighting per square metre in your home.
In particular, the Code looks at the amount of insulation in a ceiling and the influence it has on the installation of downlights; the maximum power capacity of lights, fans, pumps and other air-conditioning equipment; energy monitoring and metering facilities; and restrictions on use of electric heaters. Essentially all new homes and apartments need to have the equivalent of a six-star energy efficiency rating.
5W per square metre
The main thing you need to be aware of is that as of May 2011, you will only be allowed 5W of lighting power per square metre, as opposed to the 25W per square metre of yesteryear. Concessions to this rule exist if certain lighting controls are used, and vary depending on the particular setup and hardware.
If you are planning or building a home you should ensure that your lighting designer and electrician are aware of these changes, otherwise you could be in for long delays and increased cost to fix it. Houses that don't meet these stringent new requirements may well fail their final inspections.
LEDCentral.com.au LED and ECO Related Articles
- The Benefits of LED Lighting - Author: LEDCentral.com.au, 5th December 2009
- LED Light Source; An Education - Author: LEDCentral.com.au, 6th December 2009
- LED Replacement Lights Growth Rate - Author: LEDCentral.com.au, 9th December 2009
External LED and ECO Related Articles
- Audi A8 uses only LED Lights - Inside and Out - USAToday, Spetember 22 2010
- Lights Go Out in the United States - SBS World News - LED Story
- New $800 Power Slug - Victorian 50% Electricity Price Increase - heraldsun.com.au August 14th 2010
- Light Bulb Dangers Follows - ACA
- ESS - Energy Saving Scheme - www.ess.nsw.gov.au
- Power Costs to Surge in three years - SMH.com.au March 20th 2010
- Government's switched on Energy Move - AdelaideNow 8th February 2010
- Let there be environmentally friendly light, say our lord mayors - Author: Josephine Tovey, smh.com.au, 6th November 2009
- Low-Down on Downlights - The Dangers of Halogen Lights - Commonwealth Government publication
- ETS The cheapest way to reduce carbon emissions - news.com.au, 11th December 2009