LED Lighting Guide
LED Lighting Guide Index
- Benefits of LED Lighting Explained
- What is LED Lighting?
- LED vs Incandescent vs Halogen Comparison
- LED Lighting Colours
- LED Beam Angles Explained
- All the Hype of LED Explained
- Will LED globes fit in my current fittings?
- LED Globe Fitting types - Connections Named
- Whats the difference between GU10 and MR16
- LED Transformers Explained
- Car LED Lights, Boat LED Lights and Caravan LED Lights
- LED Savings Calculator
LEDCentral.com.au is one of Australia's premium online suppliers of LED lighting. We specialise in high quality LED lighting alone, because not only do we believe in the massive benefits of using this new energy efficient light source, we are here to pass the savings on to you.
LED lighting is a new technology and as with any type of new technology, there are limited suppliers of really high quality Australian certified LED Lights, for a reasonable price. We are committed to bringing not only the best quality globes to our online store for consumers, but at a price of up to 40% less than our competitors selling comparable products.
There are four overwhelming reasons to switch to LED lighting with LEDCentral.com.au
- Its going to save you a heap of cash, and we mean a heap!
- You wont need to change globes for 30 Years depending on your usage and you will save 90% on your lighting bills.
- You'll be helping save our environment
- We only stock world renowned and trusted brands like CREE LED and Mean Well LED Transformers.
Power Bills to increase
The immediate benefits you will notice running LED lighting, is the amount of savings you will have over long periods of time. With power bills estimated to increase in the next six years, you cant afford to stick with standard and costly halogen lighting - There's simply no excuse.
Your current conventional lighting is literally chewing up power, and that will most certainly be noticeable on your Electricity bills. LED Lighting will drastically reduce your power costs as well as decrease carbon emissions.
- Power bills 'to certainly increase' after carbon price
- Shortage of power expected in 2015-2016
- Higher fuel, gas will also boost power bills
- LED Lighting - guaranteed to save you money
Its a simple equation - If you continue using costly halogen and incandescent lighting in your home or place of business your power bills will continue to go through the roof. We are giving you ammunition you need to make the educated decision to make the move to LED lighting. We've done it and are already experiencing the massive benefits. What are you waiting for?
LED stands for Light Emitting Diode and is an electronic light source. Most lighting found in Australian homes and offices today are very inefficient costing homeowners bucket loads of money as well as emitting vast amount of CO2 into our atmosphere killing our environment.
LED lighting is a viable replacement for existing household and office lighting, just much cheaper and better for our environment. There is no reason to wait any longer, get rid of your costly Halogen lighting and switch your globes to LED today.
|LED||Halogen||Incandescent||CFL||Approx Lumen Range|
|3x3watt, 7watt LED||35-40watt||40watt||9-13watt||380-450lm|
|10watt, 5x3watt LED||45-50watt||60watt||13-15watt||500-800lm|
Each LED highlighted in orange text in the above table is available on LEDCentral.com.au, click each LED to take you directly to each product page. Or Visit our Online Store to view all LED products.
The above table is to be used as an approximate comparison guide; lumen ratings can vary between different light types.
LED Lighting can come in many different colours, the most common of these in household usage lights are Warm White, White and Cool White. The standard for many houses especially in Australia is Warm White.
At LEDCentral.com.au we stock the two most sought after LED Lighting colours - Warm White with a Kelvin rating of 2700K-3300K and Cool White with a Kelvin rating of 5700K-6500K
If you are replacing existing halogen downlights, and spacing cannot be changed a beam width of 60 degrees is more than acceptable on 2400mm ceilings. If you are installing LED Lighting during a new house build or renovation, the rule of thumb is that on taller ceilings you use a narrower beam, (30 degrees) and on a lower ceiling or bulkhead use a wider beam (60 or 100 degrees).
The beam should cross at about 1100mm above floor level, for even light distribution. On a globe with a 60 degree beam this would mean an optimum spacing of 1200mm.
LED lighting is a huge leap in technology which is going to benefit both our environment as well as your spending for household lighting.
The below list gives you an idea of how revolutionary LED lighting is and how it will be the future of household lighting in Australia and around the world.
- Light Life: LED lights last up to 50 times longer than a standard Halogen light globe. At 45,000 hours you only need to change the globes once every 30 years.
- Cost Saving: LED lights run on 90% less energy than standard halogen lights, and with up to 50% of a electricity bill comprising of lighting, thats a huge saving over a year.
- Efficiency: LEDs produce more light per watt than incandescent bulbs.
- Colour: LEDs can emit light of an intended color without the use of color filters that traditional lighting methods require. This is more efficient and will lower ongoing costs.
- Size: LEDs can be very small (smaller than 2 mm2) and are easily populated onto printed circuit boards.
- On/Off time: LEDs light up very quickly.
- Cycling: LEDs are ideal for use in applications that are subject to frequent on-off cycling, unlike fluorescent lamps that burn out more quickly when cycled frequently, or HID lamps that require a long time before restarting.
- Dimming: LEDs can very easily be dimmed either by Pulse-width modulation or lowering the forward current.
- Cool light: In contrast to most light sources, LEDs radiate very little heat in the form of IR that can cause damage to sensitive objects or fabrics. Wasted energy is dispersed as heat through the base of the LED.
- Slow failure: LEDs mostly fail by dimming over time, rather than the abrupt burn-out of incandescent bulbs.
- Lifetime: LEDs can have a long useful life. LED life is approx. 35,000 to 50,000 hours of useful life, though time to complete failure may be longer. Fluorescent tubes typically are rated at about 10,000 to 15,000 hours, depending partly on the conditions of use, and incandescent light bulbs at 1,000–2,000 hours.
- Shock resistance: LEDs, being solid state components, are difficult to damage with external shock, unlike fluorescent and incandescent bulbs which are fragile.
- Focus: The solid package of the LED can be designed to focus its light. Incandescent and fluorescent sources often require an external reflector to collect light and direct it in a usable manner.
- Toxicity: LEDs do not contain mercury, unlike fluorescent lamps.
YES they will - LED Lights are made to simply replace your existing light bulbs using your existing fittings. Check out our LED Products page for the different types of LED Lights available and products in stock meeting your required connection type through our online store. Each product will be clearly marked with the relevant connection or fitting type (Illustrated below)
GU10 Connection Type: Two thick headed pins MR16 Connection Type: Two nail like pins
B22 Connection Type (Bayonet): Two side pins E27 Connection Type (Edison): Screw Connection
GU10 is a direct connection to 240v - When 240v (GU10) is used, there is no need for any transformers. Dimming can be achieved by using a dimmable GU10 LED globe with a standard trailing edge dimmer. Our dimmable GU10 globe can be found here
MR16 is a 12v lighting connection which is stepped down from 240v to 12v using a transformer - Where 12v LED lighting is concerned, you need to use LED specific transformers for LED optimal performance.
The brightness, and optimal evenness of light output and actual life of the LED globe is dependent on the transformer you use for 12v MR16 lighting. Generally wire wound (Iron Core) transformers will successfully run most LED globes, however they do not produce the best results - Using Electronic or Iron Core transformers, not only void our LED warranty but they also cut the LED life from its expected 50,000 hours to far lesser hours depending on the specific electronic transformer being used. (iron core transformers are not as harmful as electronic)
Please read our LED warranty terms and conditions for more information voiding the LED warranty.
Most cheaper electronic transformers used to power halogen globes will not run LED globes at all. Typical tell tale signs of the faults seen are a noticeable flickering. Many electronic transformers have a "VA" rating or a load rating "20-60" stamped on them. If this is the case they will not recognize a load of only 4watt , 3x3watt or 10watts.
In general terms you'll be much better positioned to change to actual LED transformers, this enables you to take full advantage of low voltage lighting and maximum savings in the long run. LED transformers will use far less energy and run much cooler than traditional standard electronic or wire wound transformers.
When using our Mean Well LED transformers, you can choose to run individual LED globes off each transformer or multiple LED globes. This is simply dependent on the physical distance between your lights.
We stock Mean Well LED transformers - Mean Well ELN-30-12 is a 30watt transformer.
Check each of our ELN Transformer product pages through our online store for maximum LED load for each globe type to transformer. Check our Online Store for world renowned Mean Well LED Transformers.
Please be aware that all LED Transformer installations must be carried out by an professional Electrician and installed in the correct manner for optimal usage and safety.
As with any of LEDCentral.com.au products, we've ensured that our range of Car LED, caravan LED and Boating LED is of premium quality and the brightest light output possible. Our automotive and marine replacement LED globes, can simply be swapped over from the old style globes.
Our automotive and marine LED globes come in different connection types and sizes, the most common automotive LED are Festoon LED Globes, T10 LED, T20 LED and BAY15D 1156 LED Series LED lights. Please check the exact measurements of the globes from your specific car, caravan or boat and refer to our measurement guide on each LED product page.
If anybody says to you that LED is an expensive way to go, you're listening to the wrong people.